Jukebox Upchuck #30


Pardon the absence, but I've been swamped with work and family and March basketball. I'll try to do a better job this week.

I'm a late-comer to the Numero Group record label. But two weekends ago, while in Louisville, I picked up the first in their Eccentric Soul series, The Capsoul Label. This collection mines the depths of the Columbus, Ohio, label's five-year run, which spans just a dozen seven inches released during the first half of the '70s. It's an exceptionally well-done reissue, and if you dig these highlights, then it's well worth your money.

Marion Black – "Who Knows"
Bill Moss – "Sock It to 'em Soul Brother"
Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr – "You Can't Blame Me"

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Wright said...

This is a great one, no doubt, but even better is Numero #6, Belize City Boil Up. Seriously. It's phe-no-me-nal.

3/05/2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Listmaker said...

the yellow pills one is great too. that bill moss song is great and is on a cd that will be mailed to you shortly.

3/05/2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger thenoiseboy said...

Anyone care to rank the others, so I know which is the best bet for my next purchase?

3/05/2007 9:11 PM  
Blogger Listmaker said...

all i have is the yellow pills one but i'll be adding the two already mentioned in this space to my list.

3/05/2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Wright said...

Holy crap, how could I forget Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal??!!

That's Numero No. 10, for those keeping score.

Oh, I also have Antena's Camino Del Sol (Numero No. 2) on CD and it's tops!! It's like Suicide meets bossanova. Seriously.

I don't have Yellow Pills, but I can also vouch for its greatness.

Doug, all I can say is there's a good chance that either Good God! or Belize City just might be the best damn soul/funk compilation of all time. No joke. They are both absolutely essential. And both available on vinyl.

Anyone heard Mighty Mike Lenaburg (Numero No. 11)? That's next on me list.

3/06/2007 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,

After showing your blog post on the Eccentric Soul Capsoul Label LP to my office, i think we've collectively ordered half the series. We'll probably have the whole damn catalog ordered by the end of the month.
Thanks.

Let's go Mountaineers!

3/08/2007 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home