Jukebox Upchuck #26


Pitchfork posted an mp3 today of Kevin Barnes (Of Montreal) doing an acoustic version of "Green Typewriters" by his old Elephant 6 mates, The Olivia Tremor Control. (You don't want to hear it, trust me.) But that got me thinking about OTC, one of my favorite unsung '90s bands. Here's a couple tunes from their superb 1996 debut, Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle. The band was/is the brainchild of a pair of guys from rural Louisiana, Bill Doss and W. Cullen Hart, who later relocated to Athens. They received help on this album from Robert Schneider and Jeff Mangum, among others. I opted for a couple of the more accessible songs from the record, but its strong suit is really the 25-minute suite "Green Typewriters," which incorporates lengthy bouts of natural ambiance with a string of brief psychedelic segues and one killer theme song. Well worth checking out.

The Olivia Tremor Control – "Jumping Fences"
The Olivia Tremor Control – "No Growing (Exegesis)"

3 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

p.s. I'm seeing All the Saints this Thursday here in Atlanta. I'm really intrigued by these guys. If I were prone to categorization, I'd say they're in the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / Black Angels sound club. I likey. Lemme know your thoughts.

2/20/2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Okay, the post script doesn't make sense without the actual post, well, actually posting. The gist of it was something along the lines of "Thanks, I think I'm ready for OTC now." And, "Are you from Chicago?"

2/20/2007 6:55 PM  
Blogger thenoiseboy said...

1) Never heard All Saints or Black Angels, but BRMC bored me. A little too tame and/or bland.

2) I'm from Champaign, 2 hours south of Chicago.

2/20/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home